Thursday, June 17, 2010

Addicted...

...Well, with what free time I do have!
So here is how my reading addiction started. I came back to school after being on maternity leave for 8 weeks and I had this group of boys in my class who were really into reading these Percy Jackson books. I knew what the books were and to be honest I had no interest in reading books about Olympic Gods. So we finished our read aloud book and it was time to choose another one as a class. So we voted and of course the boys convinced the class to choose the first Percy Jackson book. So I begin reading outloud to the class and I am kind of lost (I've noticed when I read chapter books outloud I don't do a very good job of actually listening to what I am reading). So I decided to go home and read ahead of the class so I can know what is going to happen and what to be prepared for. The first night I read 200 pages! Ok, so I know they are kind of for kids but they are so good!
So I finish the first book way before the class even gets to page like 30 reading it aloud. My boys convince me to read the second, so I do... and to make a long story short I have read the last 4 books in the last 2 weeks!
So if you have any free time and are interested in a easy and entertaining (and sad, I will admit a few tears were shed) read, go for it! And to tell you how good they really are, I finally convinced Steve to read the first one so we could buy the movie when it comes out on DVD. He stayed up until 1 in the morning the first night reading because he said it was so good! And for those of you who know Steve getting him to read anything that isn't doctrinal is quite the feat!


3 comments:

Deb said...

I did the same thing! I read them right before school started last year just to see what all the hype was. They turned out to be so interesting. I can never pay attention when I read a chapter book aloud either. Glad it's not just me!

Manda said...

I've been wanting to read these for a while now, but they're never available at the library.

Kris and Megan said...

my kids were into those same books! they got me one from the book fair, the first one. i guess i better actually read it!