Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Oregon Coast

Midway through our trip in Washington, Steve and I headed off by ourselves to the Oregon coast which is about two hours from where his family lives. It was the most gorgeous drive and so different from Utah- it is definately the greenest place on earth. Here are some of the views we saw on our drive up there.

You can barely see it, but this is the bridge that you cross to leave Washington and go into Oregon.

The Columbia River that is the border of Washington and Oregon.

We stayed in a little town called Astoria- its right on the river and only about 20 minutes from the beach. Our hotel sat right on the marina and you could sit out on our balcony and watch the boats come in and out. After we settled in and took a small rest, we headed for our first stop Seaside Beach. As you can see the day was cloudy and it was cold, like on 60 degrees. I think I was expecting a beach like Mexico- hot and dry and everyone hanging around in thier swim suits. Well, although gorgeous, the Oregon beaches are much different. It was chilly and windy and I was absolutely freezing and seeing as how we live in Utah in 100 degree weather, I brought NO warm clothes! So Steve and I went into town and stopped at a tourist shop and bought me some sweats and a sweatshirt. Here are the pictures from Seaside...

As you can see, cold and cloudy!


Me, freezing, trying to gain warmth from the warm sand.

So we decided not the spend the majority of our time at Seaside because it was way too touristy with too many people. So we headed south to Cannon Beach. By the time we reached Cannon Beach the sun was out and so it was warmer, not warm by any means but warmer. I still got lots of good use out of my new warm clothes. It was so nice just to relax and lay around the beach for a couple of hours. Steve bought a kite and unsucessfully tried to fly it for about an hour. He also was in the water, pretty deep too, but he was definately the only one in it! After the time on the beach we went to dinner at a place called Mo's- the restaurant is world famous for its clam chowder. I hate the stuff but according to Steve it was really good! After dinner, we headed back to Astoria- but not of course after stopping back in Seaside for a visit to the outlet stores there! Here are the pictures from Cannon Beach...



Utah looks nothing like this, beautiful isn't it?

1 comment:

Kris and Megan said...

I wish I could have warned you about the Oregon Coast!! Haha That's my parents favorite place, and I've always just rolled my eyes because it is freezing, windy, cloudy and rainy 90% of the time we go!! So yeah, not what you'd expect but still very pretty. Hopefully the scenery was worth it!! :)