Saturday, April 7, 2012

Asthma

So apparently my child has asthma.

Here's the story...    Hadley has had this persistent cough for like 8 weeks.  It went away for about a weeks time in there somewhere but other than that has sadly stuck around.  It really wasn't bad at all during the day but would get reallly bad at night- I felt like we had a newborn again, either Steve or I would get up with her several times a night to help!  I feel like we tried everything I could think of or read about- cough syrup, honey with lemon, tylenol, not taking her out, steamy bathrooms, humidifier... seriously so many things.  So I finally decided (or my mom did) that it wasn't normal to have the awful cough for two months.  We headed to the doctor and after ruling out several other things he thinks Hadley has asthma :(  I didn't even know coughing was an effect of asthma, but apparently 1/3 of childhood ashtma is the coughing kind.

The doctor doesn't think she will have it forever (I'm honestly not even sure I believe that's what it is) but in order to get her over this he prescribed her an inhaler.  So she has to use this twice a day for a while and see what the effect is.  So far it has made much of a difference but the doctor did say it would take a few weeks- so for now we are stuck with the coughing that is getting midly better very slowly.  I was worried that she wouldn't do very well with it and freak out.  But I think since Max also has one for his asthma (common, eh?), it probably seems normal to her and she sits there and takes her deep breaths like the doctor told her to!

But honestly should a two year have to do this twice a day for an extensive period of time?


So for now my little girl has asthma but is still as busy, active, wild and occasionally naughty as ever despite this persistent cough!!

2 comments:

Tori said...

Oh poor Hadley! What a bummer. I hope the inhaler helps her. I think what she really needs is a vacation out of the cold Utah and into warmer weather...like in California. Just an idea.

Deb said...

Poor girl! At least it might not continue following her hopefully. I hate waking up all night with coughing.